203 E. Grand Blanc Road, Grand Blanc MI  48439 ~ (810) 694-1118

                                           Police Administration ~ (810) 694-1111                               

  |  
You are here : Home  >  History & Profile
WHO, WHY, WHAT, WHEN & WHERE

The City of Grand Blanc is located in southeast Genesee County 10 miles south of Flint and 60 miles north of Detroit. The City occupies an area of approximately four (4) square miles. Current population, as determined by the 2010 U.S. Census, is 8,276. Previous census counts are as follows: 1980 - 6,848,1990 - 7,760, and 2000 - 8,242.

"Grand Blanc", which literally means "Great White", was originally settled by Chippewa Indians. French traders arrived before 1800 and gave the town its name. By 1823, pioneer families began setting up trading posts and settling on the abundant farmland which sold for $1.25 an acre. The railroad added more work and growth to the small community in 1862. The village of Grand Blanc was the first in the state to consolidate its schools in 1904. Grand Blanc adopted its City Charter on March 4, 1930.

The City is currently served by an appointed City Manager, an elected Mayor and six (6) elected Council Members.

Today, residents of Grand Blanc are fortunate to have many services and programs available to them. Parks and Recreation activities, Senior Citizen services, McFarlen Public Library programs, and Community Education courses are available to satisfy many diverse interests. The Heritage Museum preserves the history of the area. Our school system is one of the best in the State of Michigan. Opportunities for shopping and dining are available in the City, as well as medical and dental facilities. Churches of all denominations are present throughout the area. Bus, train and air transportation are easily accessible.

The name "Grand Blanc" is synonymous with "Golf"! Located within the Grand Blanc community are many fine public and private golf courses. Warwick Hills Country Club, situated just south of the City limits, was host to the annual Buick Open Golf Tournament, the first corporate sponsored PGA tour and the only PGA tour event held in the State of Michigan, for 50 years. Debuting in 1958, the Buick Open became one of the PGA Tour's most prestigious events. In 2009, Buick announced that it would no longer sponsor the Open. The final tournament was won by Tiger Woods. 

Grand Blanc, priding itself on its small town atmosphere and friendliness, is an excellent community in which to work and live.

MEMORY TEST

Do you know the story of this clock?

The Mayor's Memorial Clock is a lasting tribute to former Mayor Paul T. Galuszka who served the City from November 1989 through August 1992. Over 200 area residents contributed to make Galuszka's wish for a town clock a reality. The clock was dedicated on May 21, 1994.

DEMOGRAPHICS

Michigan 2010 Census info can be found HERE.

This information is complied from the
2010 Census

To view the U.S. Census website visit
www.census.gov/
Total Population 8,276

 
Percent of Total Population
Under 5 years 5.5
5 to 9 years 6.7
10 to 14 years 7.5
15 to 19 years 7.3
20 to 24 years 7.2
25 to 34 years 10.9
35 to 44 years 12.4
45 to 54 years 13.7
55 to 59 years 6.6
60 to 64 years 6.0
65 to 74 years 7.1
75 to 84 years 6.1
85 years and over 3.1
   
Median Age (Years) 39.1
   
Population by Race
One Race 8,036
White 6,826
Black or African/American 918
American Indian or Alaska Native 29
Asian 228
Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander 0
Other Race 35
Two or more races 240
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 216
   
Total Households 3,566
   
Total Housing Units 3,784

 

FAST FACTS
  • Grand Blanc became a city on March 4, 1930.
  • Approximately 8,276 people live in the City of Grand Blanc according to the 2010 census.
  • The size of our city is four (4) square miles.
  • The City was originally settled by Chippewa Indians.
  • The name "Grand Blanc" means "Great White".
  • French traders arrived before 1800 and gave the town its name.
  • By 1823, pioneer families were setting up farms & trading posts.
  • The land sold then for $1.25 per acre.
  • The railroad came through in 1862.
  • Grand Blanc was the first in Michigan to consolidate its schools in 1904.
  • The oldest building in the city is the Stagecoach Stop located on Saginaw Street next to the Coach Stop Plaza. It was built around 1840.
GRAND BLANC MAPS

MAYORAL HISTORY

The City of Grand Blanc has been governed by 11 mayors since its incorporation as a city in 1930.

MAYOR  YEARS
Ray Gundry APR 1931 - APR 1939
C.C. Day APR 1939 - APR 1943
J.B. Bunnington APR 1943 - APR 1945
Ray Gundry APR 1945 - APR 1957
Ernest Somers APR 1957 - APR 1969
Jack Carey APR 1969 - DEC 1977
Larry Tomlinson JAN 1985 - NOV 1989
Paul Galuszka NOV 1989 - AUG 1992
Gregory Crane AUG 1992 - NOV 1997
Michael Matheny NOV 1997 - NOV 2011
Susan Soderstrom    NOV 2011 - PRESENT
   
Office Hours

203 E. Grand Blanc Road • Grand Blanc MI  48439 • (810) 694-1118
Police Administration (810) 694-1111
OFFICE HOURS: 8 AM-5 PM  Monday-Friday